Student Tax in Australia
If you’re an international student working part-time in Australia you can expect to pay on average 15.5% in tax, although the amount can vary person-to-person. In order to get your tax back, you must study in Australia (or have the intention to study) for more than 6 months in order to be classed as a ‘resident for tax purposes’ and be eligible for tax back. After staying 6 months, you will be subject to the same tax brackets as Australian citizens.
Student visa-holders should be careful to stay in Australia for at least 6 months to fulfil the required ‘residency for tax purposes’ criteria to be eligible for a refund. A stay of less than 6 months may be subject to the following higher foreign residency tax rate which would very likely result in a bill from the Australian Government where you would owe money:
Tax on Income at the Non-Resident Rate
|Taxable Income||Tax on this Income|
|$0 – $87,000||32.5c for each $1|
What Work-Related Receipts Should I Keep?
Here is a list of common work related expenses, applicable to students, which you should save receipts for:
1. College or university fees if you are working in the same area that you study (e.g.: studying accounting and working in an accounting office)
2. Tools and equipment (construction tools if you’re a labourer, knives if you’re a chef etc.)
3. Work courses (RSA and RCG hospitality courses, White Card Labouring course etc.)
4. Protective items such as sunscreen and sunglasses if you work outside
5. Computers and software
6. Phone and internet bills
7. Work related travel
8. Uniforms like chefs whites, hard hats and steel capped boots for construction, or gloves for cleaning
9. Car parking receipts, road tolls and some petrol
10. Pro Tax can claim extra money for owning and driving a car if applicable to your work
11. Laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
12. Pro Tax can claim extra money if you work 2 jobs at the same time
13. You can even claim part of your tax return fee back in subsequent tax returns!
In lieu of providing receipts, providing simple written details of your expenses is also acceptable, providing they are legitimately work related. After you apply with Pro Tax, we will work to build a case for you to get more tax back. We specialise in helping student visa-holders get the best possible result, and do so at a discounted student price.