Working Holiday Makers / Backpackers

Pro Tax are specialist backpacker accountants who have a long history and solid reputation for backpacker tax returns in Australia. Our Directors founded Aussie Tax Returns / Taxbacker, one of the largest backpacker and student tax companies in Australia, so we are experts in the field. New Government changes and the introduction of a new backpacker tax have impacted the number of backpackers entitled to a refund moving forwards, but it’s important that you know for sure whether or not you are due a refund. We can assess your application and weigh up your individual circumstances to provide you with a definitive answer on your tax back.

The Backpacker Tax Rate

On 1st January 2017, the Australian Government rolled-out a new backpacker tax rate which saw the introduction of a 15% tax rate needing to be paid from the first dollar earnt. Previously, backpackers on working holiday and work and holiday visas were able to take advantage of a tax free threshold, which meant they were often able to receive 100% tax back for all taxable income earnt up to $18,200. The current thresholds for backpackers on 417 and 462 visas are as follows:

Taxable Income Tax on this Income
0 – $37,000 15c for each $1 earnt
$37,001 - $87,000 $5,550 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$87,001 - $180,000 $21,847 plus 37c for each $1 over $87,000
$180,001 and over $56,210 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Visa-holders that stay in Australia for less than 6 months, and are not deemed ‘residents for tax purposes’  may be subject to the following higher foreign residency tax rates:

Taxable Income Tax on this Income
$0 – $87,000 32.5c for each $1
$87,001 - $180,000 $28,275 plus 37c for each $1 over $87,000

Can Backpackers still receive a Tax Return?

Even with the increased backpacker tax rates in place, the amount of tax deduced will vary and is often set by your employer. Whilst the official tax rate for working holiday makers is 15% tax from the first dollar earnt, there are several factors that may result in you paying a higher percentage of tax even if you earn less than $37,000. Pro Tax can help you get this excess tax back.

If you earn more than $37,001, you also may be entitled to some tax back. CONTACT US for more information, or for a quote, apply below:

Fulfilling your Taxation Obligations

It doesn’t matter whether or not you are entitled to a refund, you still must fulfil the obligations of your visa and complete a tax return – it is a legal requirement and it is not optional. Failure to submit your tax return on time can result in government issued penalties / fines, and it may impact your chances of obtaining future visas. Apply here and we will be in touch to discuss your application with you after we assess your form.

When Can I Apply?

You should apply for your tax return at the end of a financial year (which runs from July 1 - October 31) for all work done before June 30. You should also apply AGAIN just before you leave Australia for any work done from July 1 onwards. E.g.: If you start work in February and leave the country in November, you can apply for two tax returns, one for work done between February – June 30), and another one for work done between July 1 – November).

Apply Now

Submitting your tax return is quick and easy and only takes 10 minutes. Fill out our easy online application form and we will assess your application and get in touch with a quote. We’ll let you know if you’re due a refund and if you are, we offer a handy no upfront fee service: You pay nothing upfront so you’re never out-of-pocket. We take our one low flat fee from your refund when it’s complete, and pop the rest of your refund into any bank account of your choosing – We transfer to Australian accounts and all bank accounts world-wide.

If you are not entitled to a refund, we can assist you in meeting your mandatory, legal obligations to lodge a tax return to ensure all your affairs are in order. We offer a drastically reduced fee to assist you with this, which you can pay up-front in advance in a number of ways most convenient for you. Apply here and we will be in touch to discuss your application with you after we assess your form.